• Bluedrop Blogs and Guides

  • Bluedrop Insurance Blog
  • High Net Worth Property, Security and the importance of BS3621

    High Net Worth Security BS3621

    High Net Worth Insurance is designed to protect the structure and contents of a property usually with a value in excess of £750,000. The insurance will cover its contents, and outside features such as swimming pools and outbuildings. Given the exceptional high value of the home and its exuberant contents, standard home insurance is therefore unlikely to provide the level of cover required to suit a high net worth individual.

    If you own a high net worth property with valuable contents, then providing good locks on your doors and windows (and using them) is almost as important as the insurance itself.

    In the unfortunate event of a burglary you will discover that unless you have taken adequate precautions then you may find yourself vulnerable. Many insurance policies will state that you must have a five-lever mortice lock conforming to BS3621 on all exit doors and key operated locks on all ground floor and accessible windows. If your locks don’t measure up to standards then it could lead to your insurance policy being invalid and any claims for theft, attempted theft, malicious damage or vandalism will be deemed void.

    So, what does BS3621 mean?

    The BS3621 standard relates to a mortice and cylinder rim lock and means that the lock has the ability to be dead locked and the key can be taken away from both sides, so you cannot gain access without it. They are recommended for all final exit doors.

    Some policies may specifically stipulate a 5-lever mortice deadlock which complies to BS3621.

    BS3621 is the most popular standard know for most locks on doors. By fitting a BS3621 lock your insurance company will easily know that the lock is of the best theft-resistant standard.

    What are the standard security lock requirements for a HNW property?

    A standard security locks clause for a High Net Worth Property may include specific requirements on the types of lock required throughout the home, so it is important to read all of your insurance policy documentation carefully and understand the compulsory terms.

    A main entrance door should usually be secured by a 5-lever mortice deadlock or a key operate multi-point locking system. This lock needs to be lockable from both the inside and outside.

    If you have sliding patio doors then in most cases they must be secured by either a lock which can be locked from inside or outside, a key operated multi-point locking system, key operated security bolts which are fitted top and bottom, or an anti-lift device plus one key operated patio door lock.

    French doors should be fitted with security bolts top and bottom to each leaf or locked via the manufacturer’s key operated multi-point locking system.

    And finally, all windows and skylights that can open and are accessible from the ground without a ladder or from an adjoining roof, porch or down pipe should be locked by a key operated window locking device and the key removed.

    How do you know what type of lock you already have fitted?

    This is a question asked by many home owners, and when tasked with specifying if they have a lock that conforms to the required standard will often look blankly.

    Simply take a look at your locks to see if they feature the British Safety Standard Kite Mark symbol. This will be stamped on the locking plate which identifies that it is compliant with BS3621. A main door lock also needs to be lockable from both the inside and the outside to be compliant.

    If you are still unsure of anything regarding your insurance policy requirements you can discuss a high value home insurance policy with any of our experienced team members who will be able to advise on security requirements and discuss what systems, you currently have in place.

    Want to find out more about Bluedrop's High Net Worth Insurance?
    Return to blog menu